Last Updated on February 27, 2023 by Sagar Kumar Sahu
Our website gives a detailed answer to your query on how to link aadhaar with voter id card. We have mentioned every possible way for aadhaar voter link online and offline. Just keep scrolling and know all the steps and link your aadhar card with your voter id in a few clicks.
Introduction – Link Aadhaar card with voter ID card
The right to vote is a fundamental right of every citizen of this country and each one of us should exercise this right in the best way possible when choosing leaders. Once in 5 years, we as responsible citizens need to exercise this right of ours while choosing our leaders and this ensures that our democracy is held high.
There have been reportedly many cases in every election year that some fringe elements ruin the essence of the election process and cast votes more than once which is obviously unfair.
Last year, the Lok Sabha passed the Election Law Amendment Bill, which authorized the linking of Aadhaar cards with voter ID.
The Election Commission (EC) of India has begun a drive from August 1 to link voter ID cards with Aadhaar cards in various different states.
What are Aadhaar cards and Voter ID cards?
Aadhaar card: It is a 12-digit individual identification number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) on behalf of the Government of India. The number serves as proof of identity and address, anywhere in India for a citizen of India.
Voter id card: It is an identity document issued by the Election Commission of India (ECI) to adult citizens of India who have reached the age of 18, which primarily serves as identity proof for Indian citizens while casting their vote in the country’s municipal, state, and national elections.
Why initiative was taken to link Aadhaar with Voter ID?
- To curb electoral fraud, the Government has introduced the system of linking Aadhaar numbers with a voter ID card (also known as the Elector’s Photo Identity Card or EPIC) and this process is also known as the seeding process.
- It is being said that the exercise is being done to establish the identity of electors and authenticate the entries in the electoral roll, thus preventing fraud in upcoming elections.
- According to the Election commission, this initiative will be helpful in the “Identification of registration of the name of the same person in more than one constituency or more than once in the same constituency”.
- In simpler words, it helps to improve the accuracy of the electoral roll.
- With more and more people getting their Aadhaar cards, linking it with your Voter ID ensures that only those who are eligible to vote are able to do so
- This helps to prevent voter fraud and ensures that the integrity of the electoral process is maintained.
In this way, duplicate entries can be prohibited and fraudulent activities in voting during the election can also be avoided, thus leading to fair election practice.
Did you know about this? Now all Airtel, JIO, and VI users can get free Airtel data, free Jio data, and Free VI data by simply visiting our website daily. Click the respective links and know how you can do this.
What are the Steps taken by the government to link aadhaar cards with voter ID :
To carry forward the process of linking Aadhaar cards with Voter ID, the Election commission has set up camps in various states to help people link their Voter ID cards with their Aadhaar cards.
The entire process can also be undertaken online by submitting form 6B with all necessary documents. All the details regarding this drive to link Voter ID with Aadhaar can be found on the National Voters’ Services Portal
What is Form 6B?
The (EC) Election Commission has introduced a new form to remove all duplicate entries in the electoral roll. According to the EC, Forms 6, 7, and 8 have been modified to create a new Form 6B, which has been introduced for the collection of Aadhaar data of voters and hence to make the forms for registration of electors user-friendly.
Form 6B is available on the Election commission of India website and on GARUDA, NVSP, VHA, etc. for online linking of Aadhaar. Those who want to link the Aadhaar card with a Voter ID card on offline mode can submit a hard copy of this Form 6B to booth-level officers. These officers have been asked to digitize the collected forms within seven days of receipt.
Benefits of linking Aadhaar with Voter ID card
This seeding process will ensure the fair practice of election, so it is a sincere request to all the responsible citizens of India to link aadhaar to voter id cards.
Documents required to link Aadhaar with Voter ID
First of all, you need to have these three documents to be able to link your Aadhaar card with the Aadhar card
- Your Voter ID card number
- Aadhaar Card
- Registered mobile number/ Email ID
There exists 4 ways to complete the process.
- Link Aadhaar card with Voter ID online through NVSP
- Link Aadhaar with Voter ID card via SMS
- Link Aadhaar card with Voter ID by using your Mobile
- Link Aadhaar with Voter ID card by Booth-level Officers
Link Your Aadhaar card with Voter ID online through NVSP
Aadhaar with Voter ID card can be linked online on NVSP (National Voter Service Portal). Once you enter the portal, follow the steps mentioned:
- Provide the required details such as Name, D.O.B, State, and other details.
- Start by clicking ‘Search in Electoral Roll’.
- Click on the ‘Search’ icon.
- If the information entered matches the information in the Election Commission’s database, all your details would be shown up on the screen
- Once the details appear, click on the option ‘Feed Aadhaar No.’ You’ll find this option on the left-hand side of the page.
- After clicking on it, a pop-up window will appear.
- Do fill in details such as name as per Aadhaar card, Aadhaar number, registered email ID or mobile number, and Voter ID number.
- Once every detail is entered, click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- A message will be received notifying you that your application to link your Aadhaar number to your Voter ID has been successful.
You can also visit the election commission’s official website and follow the same instructions by filling the required details.
Link Your Aadhaar with Voter ID via SMS
- Link your Aadhaar number with your EPIC number via SMS.
- Type an SMS in the format shown and then send it to 51969 or 166.
ECILINKEPIC Number< SPACE>Aadhaar Number
- For example, if your EPIC number is AB123456789 and your Aadhaar Number is 0987654321, you will have to type ECILINK AB123456789 0987654321.
- Once done, you’ll get a confirmation message on your phone number.
Link Your Aadhaar with Voter ID by dialing a number
- Open your mobile dial pad and call the helpline number – 1950.
- This helpline number can be reached on weekdays between 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- To proceed with the process, you need to provide your Aadhaar card and Voter ID details.
Link Aadhaar with Voter ID card with the help of Booth-level Officers(BLOs)
You can link your Aadhaar card with Voter ID by submitting an application to your respective Booth Level Officer. The information provided will be shown in the database after it is verified by the Booth Level Officer.
Note: Government has clarified that the linking of Aadhaar details will be voluntary, and voters will have to provide a sufficient reason for not linking Aadhaar to their voter ID card.
How to check the status of your Aadhar card Voter ID link process:
- Find out the status of the Aadhaar card and Voter ID link on the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) official website.
- All you need to do is, enter your Aadhaar card number on the website and you’ll know the status.
- Also on the NVSP website, you can check your application status.
- You can also verify the linking of your Aadhaar with Voter ID by visiting the Aadhaar Enrolment centers. If you don’t know where is the center located near you then follow the steps below.
Steps to locate Aadhaar Enrolment Centres
- Visit the UIDAI’s website – https://uidai.gov.in/
- Tap on “Locate an Enrolment Center under the Get Aadhaar tab”
- Now Select your State/Pin Code/ in the Search Box option
- Enter more details of your address such as District/Sub District/Village/Town etc.
- Type the Verification code and press the “Locate a Centre” button
- After this, you can see the nearby Aadhaar Card Enrolment Centres
If you have not yet linked Aadhaar card with PAN card, please do it soon. It has been extended to next year, you can still link the two. Do it before the deadline
It is very important to link the Aadhaar card with your Voter ID as it makes it easier for you to register as a voter. It also ensures that only a single vote can be cast per election and maintain the election process fair and smooth.
In the past, you would have had to go through a lengthy registration process in order to get your name on the electoral roll. However, with the online process being introduced, you can link your Aadhaar card with your Voter ID with ease. This makes the whole process much simpler and more convenient.
So, if you haven’t already done so, make sure to link your Aadhaar card with your Voter ID today. It’s quick, easy, and will help to ensure that the electoral process is fair and accurate.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
How can I check if my Aadhaar card is linked to voter ID?
You can check the linking of Aadhaar Card with Voter ID on the official website of UIDAI, the NVSP website, or by visiting Aadhaar Enrollment Centres. You can read our article properly to know everything in detail
Is it mandatory to link the Aadhaar card with Voter ID?
Linking Aadhar cards with Voter ID is not mandatory. But as a responsible citizen you should link your Aadhar Card with your Voter ID for the smooth running of the voting process
Is there any fee for the process of linking Aaadhar card with voter ID?
No there is no fee for the above process
Why does one need to link an Aadhar card with his/her Voter ID?
There are many reasons why it is necessary to link an Aadhar card with a Voter ID. Some of the key reasons are as follows:
It helps to prevent fraud and identity theft.
It helps to ensure that only eligible voters can cast their votes in elections.
It helps to keep track of all the voters in the country.
It helps to improve the accuracy of voter lists.